Please refrain from editing unless you are a certified participant of the project.
If you wish to join the project team, contact Anselmo499.
|This article is about the second Keyblade War. You may be looking for the first Keyblade War.|
|The title of this article is conjectural.
Although this article is based on canonical information,
- "Today we join these other wielders and leave our mark on fate. I have waited patiently... but together we shall unlock the Keyblade War's secrets. Now we forge it. The ultimate key... the χ-blade."
- —Master Xehanort
The Second Keyblade War, simply known as the Keyblade War, was a conflict that Master Xehanort sought to cause by bringing together the Seven Guardians of Light and the Thirteen Seekers of Darkness. The clash between these two forces had the objective of forging the χ-blade, which according to legend had been shattered into twenty pieces during the First Keyblade War.
Several generations after the First Keyblade War, Master Xehanort developed a particular interest in this conflict and decided to unravel the mysteries by reproducing it, which would reconstitute the χ-Blade and would reintroduce Kingdom Hearts. Master Xehanort's goal was to "restore the balance between Light and Darkness" because he believed that the "Tyranny of Light" might "threaten" the Order of Worlds. Master Xehanort discussed it with Master Eraqus for several decades, but the latter finally tried to oppose it, forcing Master Xehanort to use his Power of Darkness against him.
A few years later, Master Xehanort attempted to reconstruct the χ-Blade by opposing a Heart of Pure Light and a Heart of Pure Darkness. For this, he forcibly removed Darkness from the heart of his apprentice, Ventus, creating a being of Pure Darkness called Vanitas. When Ventus struggled with the process, Master Xehanort gave it to Master Eraqus, hoping that his Heart of Pure Light would become powerful enough to face the Heart of Vanitas Pure Darkness. Finally, Vanitas manipulated Ventus to confront him at the Keyblade Graveyard, then the two beings merged to replenish the χ-Blade. However the union was incomplete and the fragmented χ-Blade was broken by the combined efforts of Ventus and Aqua.
- Ansem traveled in the past to meet the Young Xehanort to give him instructions, then returned to the Present to manipulate Maleficent and her Assembly of Darkness, to gather the Seven Princesses of Heart needed to open the Door to Darkness that leads to Kingdom Hearts. He even caused Riku to succumb to Darkness to seize his body back to his original powers.
- Xemnas, meanwhile, did not travel in time, but founded the Organization XIII to gather thirteen vessels of Pure Darkness for Master Xehanort's Heart.
- However, when these two beings in which Terra-Xehanort were eliminated one after the other by Sora, it provoked the resurrection of Master Xehanort as a full-fledged being.
- In the meantime, the Young Xehanort, having received the power to travel in time from Ansem, used it to succeed where Xemnas had failed, gathering several different versions of Xehanort throughout different timelines to they become the Thirteen Seekers of Darkness.
Among these Thirteen Seekers of Darkness, we could count:
- Master Xehanort
- Young Xehanort
Xehanort's plan to make Sora his thirteen vessels was thwarted when Riku, King Mickey, Lea, Donald, and Goofy intervened and the current Twelve Seekers of Darkness disappeared to return to their respective timelines.
The Second War
- "Light and darkness are fated to clash. A Keyblade War is upon us."
Master Xehanort sent Xigbar, Ansem, Xemnas the Younger Xehanort, Marluxia, Vanitas, Larxene, Luxord and Dark Riku in different worlds so that they could find the Black Box, gather the New Seven Hearts and test Sora's strength against the Darkness. Saïx also integrated Vexen into its Replica Program, which was needed to anchor the hearts of Ansem, Xemnas, Young Xehanort, Vanitas, Dark Riku, and Xion in vessels to keep them permanently in the Present, Terra-Xehanort already using the recompleted body of Terra. In turn, Sora was able to save Aqua and Ventus, completing the Seven Guardians of Light. Although both groups were completed, the Seekers of Darkness had only five Keyblade Wielders : Master Xehanort, Young Xehanort, Terra-Xehanort, Vanitas, and Xion.
When the conflict began, rather than lawfully wrestling with the Guardians of the Light, the Seekers of Darkness preferred to release hordes of Heartless, Nobodies, and Unversed to attack them, and eventually exhaust them. But even after the defeat of their hordes, the Seekers of Darkness refused to always fight loyally. Instead, they sent Terra-Xehanort to extract their Hearts, in order to forge the χ-Blade more easily. After Donald seemed to sacrifice himself by using Zettaflare to defeat Terra-Xehanort, he summoned a Demon Tide to overwhelm all the Guardians of Light in the Darkness. Sora found himself in the Final World, where the ancient Chirithy of Ventus helped him return to Life and use the Power of Waking to save the Hearts of his companions from the Lich. However, the Young Xehanort appeared and warned Sora that using the Power of Waking for traversing Worlds to reach Hearts, was extremely expensive. But Sora preferred to continue believing in the strength of his own heart.
Finally, Sora returned to the Keyblade Graveyard and found Kairi, who explained to him how the Light of the connection between the Hearts of the Guardians of Light had prevented them from fading into the Darkness. All together, the Guardians of the Light went back in time, more precisely between the defeat of the hordes and their confrontation against Terra-Xehanort. And when he tried "once more" to extract the Hearts from the Light, Terra's Lingering Will pushed him away and tried to hold him back. Shortly after Xigbar and Dark Riku invoked new hordes of Heartless, Nobodies and Unversed to exhaust the Guardians of Light. Fortunately, Yen Sid arrived and offered his help to keep the hordes at bay, accompanied by Donald and Goofy, so that the Guardians of Light could confront the Seekers of Darkness.
The Guardians of the Light were forced to separate to fight the Seekers of Darkness :
- Riku faced Xigbar and Dark Riku.
- King Mickey faced Marluxia, Larxene and Luxord.
- Aqua and Ventus faced Vanitas and Terra-Xehanort.
- Kairi and Lea faced Saïx and Xion.
Sora brought help and support to each group to help them defeat the Seekers of Darkness and each victory brought a share of the benefits :
- Xigbar, Luxord, Larxene, Marluxia and Saïx disappeared to be recomplited as full beings.
- Dark Riku was extracted from its receptacle by the Riku Replica, so that a Replica could finally be used to revive Naminé.
- Luxord offered a "wild card" to Sora.
- Vanitas disappeared definitively.
- Terra saw his Heart finally restored into his own body and became an additional Guardian of Light
- Xion regained her memory and left the Dark Seekers and also became an additional Guardian of Light.
- Saïx reconciled with Lea and promised to redeem himself with him.
- Roxas also returned to life thanks to the combined efforts of Vexen, Ansem the Wise, Ienzo, Demyx, Hayner, Pence and Olette, and became an additional Guardian of Light.
However, Xemnas kidnapped Kairi to bait Sora, Riku, and Mickey until the final battle with Xehanort's most direct incarnations: Xemnas, Ansem, and the Young Xehanort. Finally, Ansem and Xemnas were eliminated again and the young Xehanort returned to his original timeline. Master Xehanort, who had not yet participated in any direct battle, later revealed that the "sacrifices" of his Seekers of Darkness were part of his plans, since their hearts were transformed into Gazing Eye's replicas. To complete his "sacrifice," Xehanort "finished" Kairi in front of Sora, Riku, and Mickey, and the thirteen Gazing Eye's replicas merged to reform the χ-Blade, which Master Xehanort used to invoke Kingdom Hearts and corrupt it.
Riku and Mickey quickly designed a plan to defeat Master Xehanort : indeed, since Master Xehanort could transcend Time and Space, his own heart was a portal that could be used to "trap him on the other side of Kingdom Hearts" . While Ventus, Terra, Aqua, Riku, Mickey, Xion, Roxas and Lea remained to purify Kingdom Hearts, Donald and Goofy went to join Sora to help him complete the sealing of Master Xehanort. But instead they were transported to Scala ad Caelum, a kind of "nexus of the Worlds" from which would come all the Power of the Keyblade present in the Realm of Light. There, they confronted the Replica Xehanorts, which ended up being absorbed into Master Xehanort's body, which gave him enough power to distort the Reality of this World. However, the armor that Master Xehanort invoked during the clash was broken, and he was forced to reinvoke the χ-Blade to corrupt Kingdom Hearts once again. Despite this, Sora, Donald and Goofy were able to hurt him mortally. The rest of the Guardians of the Light landed and Master Eraqus' heart convinced Master Xehanort to accept his defeat. Master Xehanort then confided the χ-Blade to Sora before joining Master Eraqus in Death. With the help of other Guardians of Light, Sora used the χ-Blade to purify and seal Kingdom Hearts once again, thus ending the Second Keyblade War.
Subsequently, Sora decided to use the Power of Waking to bring Kairi back to Life, despite warnings that it definitely cost her own Heart. In the end, a big party was organized on the Destiny Islands, in which participated : Sora, Riku, Kairi, Aqua, Ventus, Terra, Lea, Isa, Xion, Naminé, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Hayner, Pence and Olette. However, Kairi and Sora soon seem to share some sort of ultimate romantic moment, and Sora finally evaporates, a sign of the price he paid for abusing the Power of Waking.
In the meantime, Ira, Invi, Aced and Gula were summoned to the Keyblade Graveyard by Xigbar, who used the Gazing Eye to make them believe that he was Luxu, their former classmate, who, as part of his role, had to make sure that a Second Keyblade War was triggered. In the distance, Maleficent and Pete observe them, and more particularly the Black Box which is at the feet of Xigbar.
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Indirect mention only)
- Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD (Indirect mention only)
- Kingdom Hearts III (First appearance)