Formchange is a gameplay mechanic introduced in Kingdom Hearts III, though it has appeared outside of player use as early as Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix. Formchange gives Sora special abilities and changes the form of his Keyblade into various other weapons. Formchanges are activated via Situation Command after accomplishing adequate damage with a Keyblade. will also have the ability to Formchange a second time. Each Formchange also recolors Sora's outfit.
Each Formchange has a special Shotlock with each unique attack being activated and effectively replacing Sora's current equipped Shotlock for that specific Keyblade if the lock-on count is at MAX when it is unleashed. The MAX Shotlock of each form utilizes the highest level of Sora's Keyblade transformation, if there is one, whether or not the transformation is currently active when it is used.
List of Formchanges
Base Game Formchanges
- Formchange: Second Form
- Formchange: Counter Shield
- Formchange: Mirage Staff
- Formchange: Nano Arms
- Formchange: Second Form S
- Formchange: Flying Pan
- Formchange: Ultimate Form
- Formchange: Second Form P
- Formchange: Second Form M
- Formchange: Second Form D
Kingdom Hearts III Re Mind Exclusive Formchanges
- Unlike Drive Forms, Formchanges don't continue into cutscenes.
- Though they are still active.
- The concept of transforming the Keyblade has been present in past games. The Lingering Will in Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix can Formchange its Keyblade into different forms, as can No Heart in Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix and Young Xehanort in Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. Even in Kingdom Hearts III, Lea can Formchange his Flame Liberator into his old chakrams, and Kingdom Hearts III Re Mind has Master Xehanort's data capable of Formchanging the χ-blade into a variety of weapons.
- Formchange was introduced to show that a keyblade wielder's mastery over their weapon.
- Despite Mickey having more experience, he never uses Formchange on his Star Cluster. The same can be said of Riku, who has trained as much as Sora.
- It's possible Formchange is an exclusive feature brought forth from Sora's new clothes; to compensate for the lost strength. In other wirds a shortcut.